Research Community Letter
DATE: April 28, 2020
FROM: Jessi L. Smith, AVC-Research
TO: UCCS Faculty
A new "Safer at Home" order was issued by Governor Jared Polis, for the State of Colorado effective yesterday, on April 27, 2020. As our state gradually begins to reopen, we are planning for how to reconstitute on-campus research at UCCS.
To do this, a "Summer Access" advisory team was put together that consists of representatives from Academic Affairs, Facilities, and the Police Department to make recommendations for balancing our priorities of safety, finances, and academic needs. With your help in completing the Summer Access Request Form, we are working to identify a return-to-campus plan for on-campus research this summer.
We know that these are confusing times at best, and devastating times at worst. Your resilience, dedication to keeping yourself and others safe, and your creativity in working remotely are commendable. This is an unprecedented crisis that requires unprecedented sacrifices and we want to minimize the negative impacts as much as we can.
What you need to know for right now:
- Researchers who are not already designated as critical will continue remote work until instructed otherwise. There is no immediate change to access to campus.
- The Summer Access advisory team will make recommendations ASAP to Campus Leadership. Our goal is to identify a plan for campus access that will be effective from May 18 to August 1, 2020.
- Automatic Tenure Clock Extensions for AY 2019-20: We know that massive disruptions to a research agenda are particularly stressful to our pre-tenure faculty. One-year tenure extensions will be granted automatically to all pre-tenure faculty. It often takes many months to realize the negative impact of a major life disruption on one's productivity and at UCCS we want to take all precautions to protect and support you. This means that each pre-tenure faculty member will get one more year before comprehensive review or tenure review. If you wish to opt out of this tenure clock stop, please contact your dean no later than August 31, 2020.
- Campus information on COVID-19
- Kraemer Family Library information on COVID-19
- CU System information on COVID-19
- State of Colorado information on COVID-19